Friday, May 18, 2018

3A My Entrepreneurship Story

There are a few times in my life where I was exposed to entrepreneurship, but did not even realize it was entrepreneurship. Not only is my mom an entrepreneur, but I myself was the founder of my own organization in high school.
My mom began her own interior design company in 2005. My brother and I helped her in the marketing process of the business by distributing flyers around local areas, and getting word out about her company. Originally this business was a small interior design company targeted at decorating for people with a tight budget. However, 13 years later, the business is now targeted at more high end clients with a larger budget, there are a few employees working in the business, and my mom owns her own furniture store as well. The furniture store that is now open is targeted toward a niche market of consumers looking to buy Moroccan furniture, and is located on a high end street known as antique row. The business has done nothing but expand since it first began, and I have gotten to see and be a part of that growth along the way.
As for my own personal entrepreneurial experience, I began an organization at my high school called Here to Help. I began the club as a place where community service minded people could find opportunities to help others in the local area. Our organization focused on both animals and people in the community since our goal was to help the entire community surrounding the high school, a goal different from most of the other community service organizations at the school.
I really enjoyed being a part of both of these entrepreneurial ventures in my life. Seeing my mom begin her business from scratch and getting to see how far it has come since the beginning really inspired me to look more into entrepreneurship myself. This interest in entrepreneurship caused me to look into getting the entrepreneurship minor, which is why I enrolled in this class. I hope to find out more about entrepreneurship as a whole, and hope to see if it really is a good fit for me both in regards to getting the minor and having an entrepreneurial career path.

2 comments:

  1. Katia,
    It is great to see that you have been able to be part of a real entrepreneurial process with your mom. I believe that you seeing her succeed with give you a lot of knowledge that most others people like business partners would not have. I would guess that you saw her put in countless hours, even when she was off the clock at home, but that is what it takes to succeed. Great post!


    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katia,
    I know this is not an English class, but you write very well. I can see how you have caught the entrepreneurship bug from witnessing your mother have such great success with it. Sounds like her business has really taken off, so congrats to her. Looks like you have already started practicing your entrepreneurship skills and I am sure this class will be great to round out your experience.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Bradley Bristol

    ReplyDelete