Monday, July 23, 2018

26A Celebrating Failure

I was applying to many different jobs recently. Some would call back and set up an interview, and others would just never say anything at all. I did not get a single job out of the twenty part time jobs I applied for. It was crushing to fail at finding a job that many times in a row, and I felt like I was wasting my time by going to interviews given how often the interview would lead to no where.

Through this experience, however, I learned how to truly persevere and push myself to find creative solutions and use the failures as fuel to push me forward instead of letting them drag me down. In the end, I ended up establishing my own job running social media accounts for various companies. I am able to make my own hours and this is work that applies much more directly to my long term goals for when I graduate. This experience helped me to learn to handle rejection in a positive and productive way.

I use failure as a way to fuel me forward and use it as motivation to prove to people that I can and will do better. I use it as motivation to push myself to be the best I can be and my failures help me to see where I went wrong in the beginning and how to better myself for the next time. I now no longer see failure as something to be ashamed of or as something to be upset about, I see it as a way of providing constructive criticism and fixing it for the future.

I have faced a few people rejecting me for interviews or providing reasons why they cannot answer my questions throughout this class, but because I view this failure as an indication to look in a different direction or to re-evalute my strategy, it has actually helped me to better my overall plan. Therefore this class has helped me to face, embrace, and move forward from failure and I likely will not shy away from the risk of failure in the future as a result.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Katia,
    I think that it is great that you have had such a positive attitude regarding the whole situation of applying to the numerous jobs and such. I am sorry that none of them worked out. I know someone who once put out forty job applications with a detailed resume and never once received a call back. Times like that do make it hard to stay positive. But you must persevere. With that being said, I think that there was a reason that none of the job opportunities worked out. Looks like to me that there was a better plan for you, and your trials just led you to the opportunity. I am proud of you for working hard, and I am glad that in the end, you do have a job now and have flexible hours!
    -Dakota Horlocker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katia!
    I know that can be a discouraging experience, to apply for all those jobs, and even get called in for interviews, and still not get the job. You handled it well- learning to persevere and not give up. In the end, you found a great solution- creating your own job! There’s always a solution, if we can only step back and look at the situation objectively. Kudos to you!
    Also, despite the depression of not getting the jobs, there are some benefits to this experience. You were able to practice being interviewed. This experience will probably serve you well when you graduate and are applying for jobs based on your degree- you will probably undergo many interviews at that time. You probably won’t get every job you apply for at that time, but now you know how to handle that. It is great to use failure as motivation to help you become better- that’s the best way to handle it- learn from it, become better, and move forward. Again, kudos!

    ReplyDelete