Thursday, July 26, 2018

30A Final Reflection

As much as I loved the my secret sauce assignment and hearing everything people had to say about me, I would say the most formative experience for me was the bug list. It helped me to see that it takes just a change in perspective and the way we think to start taking notice of all the amazing product ideas that are out there. The elevator pitch is something I'll remember for years because it taught me how to perfect a brief presentation. I have had lots of practice with 15 minute presentations and have a vlog so I was comfortable in front of the camera, but I have not had practice in being so concise with my words so that is definitely a skill I can say I have now. My most joyous and most proud are the same assignment, growing my social capital. I really enjoyed reaching out and speaking with so many different people and am proud of myself for getting past the fear of rejection when reaching out to those individuals.
I definitely think I have moved closer in becoming an entrepreneur. I do not think I can officially call myself that until my business is up and running, but the entrepreneurial mindset has definitely been formed. By doing these assignments I have learned how to do market research on a new market and have had my perspective changed by the bug list. 
To students who are going to go down this path in the future, I would recommend planning ahead. Do not wait until the last minute because it takes a lot of organization to get interviews in order and set before the deadline. Also, do not skip assignments because they all help in the next assignment and in developing the overall venture concept for your project. All of the assignments put together are how you will leave with a much better understanding of entrepreneurship. Students who want to actually create their businesses should especially listen to the comments of their peers and seek feedback from the professor so that you can leave being as successful as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katia!
    I agree with your comments about the elevator pitches. It was a difficult process to condense everything I wanted to say about my business idea into a small time limit. It really made me consider what was truly important to say about my product idea and what could be left for later.
    I also really agree with your comments about planning ahead. As you said, it takes time to set up interviews, and even more time to go through what they said and condense it into the assignment parameters.
    It has been interesting to see how your idea has grown into a full business concept over the summer. I am glad to have been able to interact with you in this class. Best of luck to you in all your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katia,
    I definitely agree with your advice to the future students. Procrastination is not going to get you anywhere in this class. To get the most out of your classes and this class this especially, you must plan ahead and take time out of your week to dedicate to the class. I will also say that I agree with what you said in the beginning about the opportunities. If you change the way that you look at certain situations, you will see that there are really plenty of ideas out there that can be pursued. Anyway, good job in the class, and good luck in the rest of your endeavors.
    -Dakota Horlocker

    ReplyDelete